I haven't mentioned we have had 2 more losses of goats to coyotes this summer. After loosing our baby Tinkerbell, we started locking all the goats in the barn at night for their protection. Unfortunately, the coyotes are brazen and determined. They broke in during the daytime and got Prince, our other buck, and later Ivy, my first doe. I was saddened by Prince's loss but was absolutely broken hearted and furious to loose my Ivy girl. She was everyone's favorite because of her mischevious personality and her tiny size.
My Ivy Girl
I love animals but I want those coyotes dead. I am an adult and understand the whole food chain process. I still want those horrid animals DEAD!
Now we are kind of in survival mode with our goats. We decided to get a Great Pyrenees puppy. Many people I know have one or two that run the pasture with their livestock. I have been told repeatedly by many that they have not lost an animal to predators since they got their gentle giants. They become very protective of the animals they live with but are very gentle with kids. A great combination. I have spent the last week looking for the right one.On Sunday afternoon, we brought home a beautiful and sweet 12 week old male we named "Max". He was the biggest of the litter. He is adjusting to being away from his parents and littermates. We're hoping that he'll be the answer we've been looking for. I'll post a picture soon.
This weekend we will be saying good-bye to the first of our chihuahua babies. A couple is driving in from several states away to collect their little bundle of joy.


Bandit was the smallest of the litter at birth. He is charting to weigh about 3 lbs full grown. He is small but full of personality. He's a real sweetie and I'm sad to see him go but it is easier since I am sure it's going to be a great home. His new people are young with no children in the home. He's to be an "only" for a while.
3 comments:
I feel your pain on the coyotes. They have been horrible this year. The donkey has worked wonders as far as the goats are concerned but he does not protect my chickens and ducks. I lost all my ducks to coyotes and 10 more chickens two weeks ago.
Keep me posted on how the Great Pyrenese works. I've seriously thought about getting one and giving the donkey away but I've been advised against it due to the pecking order of our other outside dogs.
So sorry for your loss and I hope Elliott heals quickly.
That is the cutest little pup ever!!!
I have friends with Great Pyrenese on their farm and they love and swear by those dogs! So I hope it works out for you. BTW that baby chi-wa is the cutest thing evah!
Post a Comment