Monday, June 30, 2008

A Look At Nature

Noah came running into the house, breathless. "Mama, come see!" He and Zack had taken some scraps to the compost bin behind the barn. He found a female box turtle preparing to lay her eggs. Thank goodness she was on the outside of the fence. Unlike last year, a turtle had chosen a spot right in the door of the barn and the goats trampled all over her little buried nest.
We spent maybe 45 minutes watching her dig and rest, dig and rest. She laid 3 eggs and meticulously covered everything back up. She was so intent on her job that she never even seemed to notice us. So Cool!

2 comments:

Aves @ Call of the Phoebe said...

Ok I just came across this post...way cool!!! I am jealous of seeing her lay her eggs!!! What type of box turtle is she???

Aves

A Blessed Life said...

I'm stumped. I have no idea.
Leanne