Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Baby Dolls


Thanks to Marta, another thoughtful adopting mom, we have another picture of Baby Girl. She has on the same "slightly " too big shoes as in all the recent pictures. How she has managed to hold on to them all this time, I don't know.
She is holding a baby doll which is encouraging to me personally. I dearly loved all my baby dolls as a child. They were my greatest treasures. Before Christmas each year, my mom would have my sister and I line up all our babies and give them a bath while she washed all their clothes. My mom loves dolls so she made sure we got several new additions each Christmas. I got one of the first anatomically correct baby boys and the cutest little brown baby - you did not see those very much in the early seventies. Remember Baby Alive, Drowsy, Kewpie, Tiny Tears and Baby Chrissie? I have them all. My dad was in the military when I was younger and we lived in Germany for three years. Mom bought us a baby doll and souvenir doll in every country we visited during those years. One of my biggest disappointments was not getting a Mrs. Beasley doll - my mom thought she was ugly. My Raggedy Ann slept on my bed until my marriage at 24. They are all still precious to me - I have them packed away carefully in a large plastic container in a closet. Occasionally, I will get them out and brush their hair and give them all hugs. I had thought when I had a little girl, she might like to play with them. Sadly, Lexi not only was not interested in my babies, she did not really care for any of her own. I bought her some anyway in hopes of piquing her interest. I think Noah enjoyed playing with them more than she did.
Seeing Baby Girl with a doll in her arms thrills me. Every since we have committed to adopting another little girl, I have spent quite a lot of time on the doll isle in various stores. I haven't bought anything yet because I wasn't sure she would be interested. Now I can indulge myself. Who knows, I might even get to pull my own sweet babies out of the closet and "play mommy" again with my youngest little girl.

2 comments:

Not Betty Crocker said...

I can totally relate. I'm a "doll" girl and have all of mine from my childhood. I hope Gracie loves dolls-I've already bought her 7. They sit in her room and wait on her....

Nephtalie is beautiful. Are you in IBESR? I can't remember.

This Mama said...

Nephtalie is so sweet but her sad face breaks my heart....I love dolls too and the corelle ones are one of my favorites for that real baby weight and smell.