Yesterday the kids had their yearly check-ups. I schedule them all in one block - one trip. Our doctor is great. He opened up his practice here when Noah was a baby. He is "young" -just had his third baby girl. They homeschool and play soccer, too. Many people we know use him. When we have appointments, it's like visiting a friend. We love our doctor.
Back to our appointment. We waited the customary 45 minutes before being taken back so my kids were getting a bit restless. Thankfully, before we all five get trapped in the little room, the kids get to line up for the preliminaries. The boys have all been experiencing growth spurts. Noah - 3 inches, Lucas 3 1/2 inches, and Caleb 4 1/2 inches! Lexi 1/2 inch. At 16 she is still 5'4". Everyone's eyes look good so off to the closet, I mean room to wait. We sit for at least another 30 minutes while the boys are compelled to horseplay and entertain each other with jokes and pretending to be Dr.A. Lexi and I sit in the only chairs and try to survive. Finally, it's our turn. Everyone is healthy with no concerns so the check-up is easy. Now the bad news. I had told everyone no shots. I forgot it's flu season. Dr.A encouraged us to do those and Lexi and Caleb needed their Tetanus. Noah panics and tries to escape. I have to hold him in my lap with him crying and moaning he doesn't want a shot. Caleb, who is high energy and rarely quiet, goes into high gear. He is talking and joking almost hysterically to cover the fear he would never admit. Poor Angie, the nurse, must have felt more trapped than I did. I asked for Noah to get his over with first. It goes more smoothly than I thought it might. Lexi bravely goes next. She bleeds a lot with the first. Caleb's eyes get big. She survives. Lucas, tough guy and quiet, goes next. He doesn't even flinch. Caleb is worked into a frenzy and is laughing. His turn. She gives him the first shot and pulls back and the needle stays. She immediately removes it but not before Caleb sees it. She says " Well you moved!" Caleb gets more animated and she quickly gives him the next one while asking if he is about to pass out. Fortunately, he is the last in line. Her relief was visible. She gathers her mess up as fast as possible and bids us farewell. Now, Angie loves us, we are just too much in one tiny room. Thank goodness, check-ups are done for one more year. Ahhh!
Tuesday, December 11, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Funny! And just when you think you're done forever with shots, they invent a few more. My oldest two have ended up getting several shots that were added to the never-ending-list after they were babies.
Post a Comment