Saturday, November 29, 2008

November is over. Another Thanksgiving has come and gone. We have so very much to be thankful for.

We had a great holiday with family visiting throughout the day. That was wonderful. Everyone but me complained about eating too much. I had my usual holiday "urky" tummy. Many times I'll have a dream the night before about food. When I awake I feel slightly nauseous which stays with me all day. This time I didn't have a food dream but my stomach just felt unsettled so I just nibbled.

Yesterday, on Black Friday, I stayed home while S worked a few hours at the office and the kids went shopping with my nephew. That was a total switch-up from past years. Usually S and I have a date day of early shopping and lunch. We just didn't have any pressing need to go out to shop this time. We gave the kids some of their Christmas money with the agreement that whatever they bought was going to be wrapped and put under the tree. Having never been out shopping on the biggest shopping day of the year, they were amazed. Amazed at the quantity of people shopping and at their behavior. They started at Wal-mart where they saw some really rude immature behavior. The crowds were slightly overwhelming to them. I believe next year, I'll hear no complaints about staying home.

Today, we went out and bought our Christmas tree. In years past, we would go out to a family owned Christmas tree farm. It's always been an exciting occasion. We take our time and walk up and down the many rows choosing just the right tree. We examine it at all angles. S and the boys chop it down and drag it back to the sweet elderly man and his grandsons.

Last year, we went to a lot instead. S and I decided we wanted a fir tree. A Frasier Fir. We broke tradition and the kids haven't handled it well. We've tried to make them see that we are still "choosing" a tree; we just aren't chopping it down. They still balk but the Frasier fir with it's tall slender shape fits our space better. We chose a beautiful one this afternoon and it's now sitting in our garage until time to decorate next Saturday.

Why did we get it today if we are not going to decorate until next weekend? Two reasons. The first is a question of safety. The trees start showing up on lots this weekend. We hate the thought of our tree sitting out and drying up. So we go and purchase it. We make a fresh cut and bring it home to sit in our cool garage in a bucket of water.

I also hate to rush the seasons. I like to enjoy each one as it comes. We have gotten our tree and decorated it on the Saturday of Thanksgiving weekend and that just seems like too much. Everyone seems tired and overstimulated- like we are moving at a frantic pace to squeeze everything into a small space of time.

I also like to pack up some items prior to the Christmas decorating. The house seems more peaceful if it's not so crowded and cluttered. Over the next few days, I'll work on getting the house prepared to be decorated. This Saturday will be set aside to totally focus on the fun of rediscovering old friends - our decorations of the past. We'll probably have the usual arguing over who gets to set up the nativity set while S organizes the putting on of the lights and tree ornaments. I make sure all the boxes and wrappings get put neatly back into the storage containers then I put the icicles on the tree. We'll have homemade sugar cookies and hot chocolate and Christmas music playing softly in the background. It's an "occasion".

We've all chosen our new 2008 tree ornaments. We like to go to Hobby Lobby because they have the best selection and run a 50% off sale before Thanksgiving. I made one for N last year with her picture. This year I bought a kit to get her handprint and make it into an ornament. I'll get to make that with her during my visit and bring it home to put on our tree.

Next year, she gets to choose her own. That's such an exciting thought. Another "occasion" to look forward to.




1 comment:

Susan W. said...

where are you? are you coming back from Haiti? ever?