Monday, March 10, 2008


Simple pleasures. They are usually free and just need us to take the time to appreciate them.

On this past Sunday, S asked me if I would like to take a ride. It was absolutely gorgeous out so, of course, my answer was "Yes!" The year we got married we had very little "extra" money. Instead of traveling and expensive nights out - we would jump into the car, stop by the store for snacks or a picnic, and spend the day riding around the countryside. We would take any road that looked interesting. If it was warm enough we would always ride with the windows down to take in all the "smells" of the great outdoors.

Whenever time permits, we still love this past-time. Sometimes the kids come, sometimes not. When the kids heard we were going out, Caleb and Lucas opted out. Lexi and Noah heard "stopping for snacks" and jumped in the car. Noah is like a dog when he gets in the car - he wants the window down and his face in the wind. Lexi was content with her personal container of ice cream. I had a destination in mind I was curious to explore. It was a beautiful afternoon and we enjoyed it immensely.

As we started home, Noah expressed how much fun he had had seeing the farm animals, wildlife, and all. He said when we said we were going for a "ride" he wasn't sure what that meant but now that he understands he wants to go again soon. Lexi wants to bring the camera next time to take pictures of all the cows and horses she is so fond of.

The next day I was out checking on my chickens. We have 9 chickens and they have a large chicken coop. More than enough space to live and move. As I stood there watching them, I thought they looked a little bored. We used to let them free range and they were very happy looking then. I'll have to tell more about that another day. Now even though they have plenty of space there was nothing to do. I had an idea. I raked up leaves from a wooded area and gave them a nice big pile. It was free and took very little time. They had a ball scratching and looking for bugs. I enjoyed watching their antics. Another one of life's simple pleasures for me and for them.




Sidenote: For those who asked: Josie Bob's puppies are not full beagle. My sister thought she still had time to have J.B. spayed but the neighbors male discovered her first.

Lesson: Have your pet spayed or neutered as early as possible/Listen to your wise sister when she tells you "You better do it now!"

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I wish I had some chickens...I don't think my neighbors would appreciate it though. :(