Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The Hiding Place

I read the book The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom when I was in highschool. It was a very difficult book to read emotionally. The first time I read it I didn't realize what an impact it was going to make in my life.

Corrie, Betsy, Father and all the other precious people we meet while reading about their lives are so very special to me. That true story touches a deep chord in my soul. I never read it through without crying. Even after all the times I've read it to myself, when I read it aloud to my children a couple of years ago- I could hardly read it through the tears.

When life is not going exactly as I would have it and I need a reality check or an attitude adjustment, I pull out my tattered copy and read. I guess, in my mind, living in a German concentration camp, watching family, friends, and even strangers suffer and die is about the worst scenario I can imagine. When I compare my measly trials and tribulations to that...well they always look less dim.

This morning I received an email telling us we have a VISA APPOINTMENT - Yeah!

A little later, I was sitting on the couch just savoring the thought that N is really and truly coming home soon. My thoughts wandered on to the other families that are still waiting. I felt so sad suddenly. Many have been stuck in one stage for a long time. Some have gotten stuck in each stage they've moved to. So many of these people have also struck a chord in my soul. My heart aches for them.

Adopting from Haiti takes you on an incredibly long and arduous journey. It's very frustrating with little joy except the short visits, occasional pictures and the hope that they will eventually make it home.

I started thinking about The Hiding Place. Those inside the concentration camp were tired and discouraged. Many lived with the despairing thought that they may never get out. Sometimes people were released. Those who knew them were glad for them but also envious. They wondered when it would be their turn, if ever. Many times when someone was released, it was mostly without rhyme or reason. No one explained why they were chosen - they just were. All they were told was that they were free.

As I was thinking these thoughts, I felt a little guilty about those still waiting to bring their loved ones home. We are about to be free- I can still hardly believe it! - but there are others still stuck. I know I have nothing to feel guilty over. It just happens to be our turn and I am so amazingly thankful. Just anticipating N's homecoming is making me almost giddy!

I just want to encourage those whose children are still waiting. Your time will come. It will probably come when you are least expecting it but it will come. When it does you will experience such joy! I guess the long waiting makes the homecoming so much sweeter.




1 comment:

Marta said...

so well said. Part of me felt so guilty for the ones still waiting, but I had to believe that their time would come, and it has And now it's your turn. Yay! I can't wait to see your homecoming!