Since our Lexi turned 17 recently, she has been busy putting in applications for a part-time job. She's eager to start saving for a car. Oh, yah, and more clothes!
She went for her first interview yesterday for the job she most wanted. It went well and she is scheduled to come back for orientation on Sunday. She was told to bring her driver's license and a work permit. Okay, she can do that. Of course, we had to go get them both! And it's Friday afternoon! Nothing like a little pressure.
S and I decided a long time ago that we would require our kids to wait until 17 to get their license. Personal convictions not a reflection of the maturity of our children. Well, Caleb we may make wait until he's 30.
We hurried to the driver's bureau since they stop taking applicants pretty early in day. It was misting rain so we weren't even sure they would let her take her test at all. Fortunately, the rain cleared up enough and off they went. I was so proud of her. She was much calmer than I felt. She passed with flying colors!
After returning home we allowed her to run to the store. It's only a few miles away on all back roads. She took Lucas and Caleb but they were instructed not to talk to her, no cell phone calls, and no radio. Actually, by the time I laid out the rules the boys weren't so sure they wanted to go anymore.
They made it home with no mishaps. Relief! I know that this will become easier with time.
This morning, Lexi is off again to retake the ACT to try and up her scores. Again, she was much calmer than her mama. She's been doing a good bit of prep for the last few months so she feels confident she will improve on her scores.
Tomorrow, she will drive off by herself to her job orientation without me. Like a little bird, she is slowly spreading her wings. I am very proud of my girl!
Saturday, October 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You are doing great! I had a very hard time with this stage of life for my oldest, and now I'm getting ready to do it again!
Wow! Congratulations to Lexi, and to Mama for getting through this :)
We're still a few years off from driving. The thought of it makes me hyperventilate. When does that go away?
WooHoo for Lexi! And for you. When Sam starting driving, I chased every ambulance that I heard. I just knew they were heading for his crash. I can't wait to hear about her job.
Post a Comment