Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Here Comes Trouble!

HIs name is Max. He's a Great Pyrenees guard dog. He's also big and goofy and adorable and sooo much trouble.

As many of you may remember, we lost 3 of our pygmy goats ( and a cat) this summer to coyotes. We live in an area where they seem to thrive - coyotes that is. We've been fortunate that we haven't had any losses before now.

We lost our little Tinkerbell first. I wasn't sure originally what had happened to her. She disapeared without a trace. I wondered if someone did not just steal her since she was such a little pet. Next was our beautiful buck - Prince. After finding his remains at the edge of the pasture, we made a gate on the open end of the barn to close them up at night. We thought that would protect from the night predators i.e. coyotes. Then we lost my sweet Ivy girl. During the day! Those horrible animals were ruthless. I was just devastated.

Her death occurred just a little over a week before we were to leave for Florida and Disney for 10 days. I wasn't sure what to do to protect my remaining 3 goats while we were gone.

I called a man from church who raises Great Pyrenees dogs with his goats. Unfortunately, he had just gotten rid of his last puppy. So now the hunt was on! I called several people and finally found our Max. He was a big boy for his age- then 4 months but not quite old enough to start the guarding process.

When I went back to church on Wednesday night, the man I called - Jimmy, asked what I had found. I told him about Max and he was pleased but concerned about my goats while I was away. I had decided to close up the goats in a small section of pasture close to the barn. I had hoped that Max would bark enough to make a difference. What else could I do?

Jimmy decided that he would bring his adult male up to my house to train my puppy and guard my goats in my absence. I was so touched. I really did not know Jimmy that well and was amazed at his offer. Of course, I declined but he just insisted.

Jimmy brought his huge male, Mo, up the next day. He was beautiful. He got straight to work marking territory and showing Max the ropes. We left the next morning feeling that our animals were in good hands. Family next door was feeding everyone and Mo was guarding. Woo Hoo!

We got a call the day after arriving in Florida that Mo had escaped the pasture. My nephew put him back in but the pattern continued for a couple of days. Jimmy suggested they put him back each time but he eventually disappeared. We felt so bad and I was mortified but what could I do so far away?

Max did learn one thing from Mo - how to escape the pasture. Arggg! We tried everything to keep him in including making him wear one of those e-collars that they wear when injured. I have several because I make my baby goats wear them to keep them in. Nothing works with Max. He climbs over like a monkey or he slithers through like a boneless snake breaking off the collar.

Max is now a yard dog which is exactly what we did NOT want. Our yard stays littered with chewables - our shoes, paper, plastic toys, and my sister's doormat. He even chews on bushes and small trees which almost pushes S over the edge since they are a part of our landscaping which he works hard on.

The electric fence we are working so hard on is not to keep the coyotes out-- it is to keep Max in the pasture so he will guard the goats so the coyotes won't eat them! It makes me think of the story of the old lady who swallowed the fly. What next?

No comments: