Tuesday, November 27, 2007

I can hardly believe Thanksgiving is over for another year. I think the older I get the quicker the holidays come around each year. This year was no exception. I hate to see the holidays rushed by places like Wal-mart who put out Christmas trees with the summer clearance. Ughh! I love holidays and try to enjoy each one to the fullest.
I have 6 brothers and sisters with oodles of children plus my mom and her husband( my dad doesn't come). Thanksgiving, and the 4th of July, is always at my house. We are very casual - no china and crystal used. You can kick off your shoes and curl up by the fire. We all pitch in with the delicious food, preparing each others favorites. My kids are all old enough to have their "special" dishes that is tradition that they make. We bring in the extra folding chairs from the garage. Our door is open to anyone we know we who doesn't have a family to spend the day with. People come and go all day. Some come in the afternoon for dessert and coffee. There is a lot of goofing around, drinks getting spilled, half-eaten food left in the oddest places. Sometimes it's loud and chaotic before the crowd thins out again. I love it! Well, maybe not the sticky spots on the floor or the vomit from the dog who found the half-eaten food before I did. I love the laughter and joy that floods my home.
Of course, while each person is visiting, they must take time to fill out a leaf for our Thankful Tree. They all know I am corny. It's a wonderful holiday that passes too quickly. Fortunately, because of the age/time thing , it will be Thanksgiving again before I know it.

No comments: