Monday, December 15, 2008

My trip to Haiti

I got back really late on Friday night. As usual it takes me a couple of days to get back in the groove of things.

I left after church last Sunday. S and I had lunch at a favorite restaurant then headed off on the 2 1/2 hour trek to the airport. I get my luggage checked in then off to the security check where I separate from my dear hubby. I felt amazingly calm although it was my first time to fly alone - it had to be a God thing.

I arrived in Fort Lauderdale late that evening where I awaited my good friend, Addie, who was also traveling to visit her Haitian babies. She and I had made plans previously to meet there at the airport. After some delays she finally arrived. We sat up all night chatting and catching up on each others lives. That was another first for me- staying up all night that is.

We left out early the next morning for our final leg of the journey. I was very excited but my brain felt a little foggy from lack of sleep. We arrive at the Haitain airport with no problems. As usual the heat hit us in the face as soon as we stepped off the plane. It didn't seem quite as hot as it was last May when I was there though I was glad I had exchanged my turtleneck sweater for a t-shirt. I quickly stripped off my jacket and wished I had taken off my socks before landing.

The Haitian airport. Uggg! It's what I dislike intensely about the whole visit. That moment when you step out of the airport to a sea of loud grabbing men and the nagging thought that your ride might not be there to meet you. Thankfully, our orphanage director remembered to make arrangements for us. A man named, Big, was there with our names on a sign. Instant relief as he took charge of our luggage and wisked us away to the parking lot where our driver awaited us.

Our driver took us to Visa Lodge. We had heard nice things about this hotel and were meeting some other visiting parents there. We were pleasantly surprised at our accommadations. If you didn't look beyond the walls to the devastion beyond, it seemed pretty upscale. It has a nice indoor/outdoor restaurant, a pool with a beautiful view of the mountains, and dozens of 2 room air conditioned villas. The only downside was the unfriendly office staff and the lack of bath towels available. We started with one towel, period, and had to keep requesting more. By the end of the visit, we had accumulated 4 towels for the 5 of us.




After settling in, Addie and I called our O director to check in. We then relaxed by the pool while waiting for the rest of our party to arrive. After staying up all night, we dozed and read then dozed some more.




A few hours later, our people arrive. We had a great time meeting them since we felt as if we knew each other after all the online time we shared.

We all settled down to wait on the arrival of our children from the O. We waited and waited and waited. Finally, that evening we got a call that M had arrived with the kids. Woo Hoo! We all excitedly headed up to the office. We walk in and it becomes a little chaotic. I scan the room and realize my sweet N is not in the group. Oh no! I had had several nightmares over the months before this visit that that happened. I kept thinking, in my dream, that I had come so far to not get to see her. Was my nightmare about to come true?

M tells me that N had a doctor's appointment the next morning so I would see her the next day. I felt like a deflated balloon but what could I do? I decided to enjoy everyone else's reunion- which I did to the fullest. One of the dad's was meeting his 3 little ones for the first time. The other families were having a great time reconnecting. It was just precious!




The next morning we had our I-600 appointments scheduled. We felt as if we could relax and enjoy our visit once that was out of the way. It was pretty uneventful and a lot less stressful than we imagined. Unfortunately, although I was allowed to sign our form, Madame D pointed out that our case was being retained at our home office. Why? Who knows - maybe I filled out the I-600A form wrong. I don't know. Whatever the case may be, she needs the name of the adoption officer at the home office so she can request our case be sent to Haiti. Sounds pretty cut and dried but we are dealing with the government.
We leave the Embassy and head back to the hotel with another mom in tow who had flown in that morning for the appointment. She and I wait and wait until early evening when there is a knock on the door with our little ones!



N came unresistingly into my lap. She seemed a little uneasy in all the excitement. Who could blame the poor child! I tried not to cry and fawn over her too much. We eventually walked to our room where I had a backpack full of little goodies just for her. She decided pretty quickly that this was a good thing!
More later......






6 comments:

Marta said...

I have practically been pacing the floor waiting for you to post!!! Yay! She is so beautiful! Can't wait to hear more.

Not Betty Crocker said...

Love the picture of you and N. Tell us more! Tell us more!

Kathy Cassel said...

Ah. Visa Lodge. Did you jump off the waterfall???

Ugh. Hate the airport scene too. Never know how much it's going to cost you to get out. I actually slammed Big in the stomach once with my elbow because I thought he was stealing my suitcase : )

Susan W. said...

Oh goody!! She is beautiful!
Call me when you have time.

lori shepler - said...

awww, we've stayed at the visa lodge soooo many times & your pics bring back all the memories of wonderful times there - thank you

This Mama said...

Great post Leanne - Rob has some photos of you & N together as well that first meeting (I put them on snapfish). I loved her dress/bows in her hair....very very cute.

That is the first picture I have seen of Rob *just* meeting our three... :)