Wednesday, December 17, 2008

My Haiti Trip Chapter 3

I brought a variety of foods with me, partly, because of not being sure what would be served in the restaurant but also to give variety to N's diet. I brought things like high protein canned meats, fruit cups, peanut butter, and can't forget - candy.


One item, I love, that I couldn't bring was BUTTER. No matter. They served it daily with the bread. It was brought out in individually wrapped pats. All the kids seem to enjoy the buttered bread but not as much as my girl. I buttered her bread with 1/2 of the pat when she promptly took the knife out of my hand and removed the remaining 1/2 and slathered it on her bread. She then would pick up the bread and eat the butter off first then eat the bread.




She then picks up another pat of butter and uses her fingers to remove it from the wrap to eat.When that is not sufficient, she picks up the wrapper and licks it clean. You can see the enjoyment on her face. Everyone at the table kindly passed their remaining butter pats to my little sweetie. Oh well, she could use the calories.



I am always impressed with how little entertainment the kids need to keep them happy and occupied. I told S, the little kids spend a lot of time doing this.....




And this....






And even with friends....







I call it "wallowing" but there is a good bit of playing too. I would normally never choose to spend several days in a hotel room with several children but these kids truly entertain themselves.







The kids impress me with how well they play and share their things. I was forever turning around and seeing one of them offering a sip of their drink or a bite of their candy. It was really sweet.




I am terrible about taking pictures because I get so caught up in the moment. I decided to let N pick an outfit to go outside and get her picture made. She chose the most colorful outfit I brought. It was covered in dancing frogs. Really cute! We went outside our Villa where there was a sitting area and plants. I snapped some pictures and she was so cute! Then I had her sit on a this little planter thingy. It was cracked and leaked water so that it soaked her shorts. I wish I had gotten a picture of her face when she realized this. She gave me the dirtiest look like I had done it on purpose! I don't think she appreciated my laughter either.


Addie and I joked that the staff would be glad to see us go. We were needy, I suppose. We spent 10 minutes arguing when we checked in because they were giving us one of our friend's room. We did beg for towels and well, we did get locked out 2 times. I had the key in my pocket and didn't realize it once.
Our friend Laura helped to sully our names. She left her luggage in our room after she checked out while she was waiting on her ride to the airport. Her ride showed up unexpectantly early. She ran down to our room to collect her things while we waited at the pool. She rushes through saying her goodbyes as she follows her ride out only realizing when she gets in her car at the airport that she still has our key. Thanks Laura! :)
It takes 10 minutes of explaining- and no one ever really seems to understand- that WE no longer have a key and WHO does have it. We gave up and just left our room unlocked for the rest of the visit- after waiting for 30 minutes for maid service to open the door... again.
To be continued.....























5 comments:

Kathy Cassel said...

I always take food too. Same as you, cans of fruit and even cans of veggies. I take ramen and a hotpot and mix the vegetables with ramen. They love noodles.

The butter thing is funny. Ick. But I guess she must surely like it!

This Mama said...

The butter - I know! Rob said Bernard went under the table the first night to eat some that had fallen on the ground. He thought the kids might have thought it was cheese but your right, the fat - their bodies are likely craving it.

Very cute photos, not that it would be hard with such a adorable subject ;)

No worries about the Visa staff - I think they find everyone off putting by the sound of it!

laura said...

I'm sorry, I still have that key!! It was a great trip and I'm so glad I got to share it with you all!!

Laura

Susan W. said...

Are the three siblings--Bernard, Lovely and I can't remember the other sister's name--are they still there?

Sarah said...

L, I am just drinking in your stories here! Your writing is wonderful and I feel like I am actually there! Can't wait to read more :)