Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Loretta and Bubba

I was just catching up on one of my favorite blogs- Casa de King. She had a post about her husband calling her "Loretta". It was a cute post. It reminded me about my own hubby calling me Loretta and me calling him Bubba.
Something to know about S- he has a quirk where he never gets metaphors right.
Some things to know about me: when we started dating I was very shy and quiet and even now I do not like to be the center of attention in a crowd of people.
Here's our stories:
One day before S and I got married, I was teasing him about something and said "Well, hells bells Loretta....! It's a line in Coal Miner's Daughter (Loretta Lynn's life story). S was surprised that I would say that because he felt I was cursing and that's not something I usually do - not his sweet, innocent, young southern belle.
A few days later we were in line at Wal-mart. It was crowded and the lines were long. We were next in line when S told me he was going to slip out and buy a newspaper. I looked up in a minute and he was back standing by the register waiting. I commented that it didn't take him long. He got this mischievous glint in his eye, a grin on his face and said loudly with his best southern drawl, "Well, hell, Loretta the news stand is just outside!"
I so wanted to pretend I didn't know him.
Thank goodness I'm not quite so easily embarrassed as I've matured. I'm reminded of those days though every time I hear S call me " Hey, Loretta!"
#2 "Bubba"
When S and I first got married, our address was a rural route number and a box number instead of a road name. That's just how it was done in the country. That's how it was listed on our checks, too.
We went shopping one day. S writes a check. The young check out girl in between, popping her gum, looks over our info and asks S if he has a street name. He looks at her slightly offended and says " What do you mean - like "Bubba"?!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I'm nearly laughing myself off my chair here, girlie!!! So glad that you are back home and blogging again :) You've been missed!

And I have to say, the "hells bells Loretta" line is the only line I remember from the movie, because my little sister said it one too many times to my mother (in a sassy way) and had to sit with the good ol' bar of soap in her mouth.

Loved the post!

Not Betty Crocker said...

Oh, how sweet to come here and find out I am one of your favorite blogs. Thanks!

I loved your Loretta and Bubba stories. Too funny.

Love,
Loretta