Friday, April 18, 2008

Today is truly beautiful. I think spring is really here to stay this time. The sun is out but we have a slight breeze blowing that makes it the perfect temperature.

My brother-in-law brought me 6 more thornless blackberry bushes last night to put out in the orchard. I got up early and got those in the ground and watered.

A friend of ours just moved and hates all the irises around their new house. He offered to give us all we wanted. I have started a row behind my vegetable/herb garden and could use some more. We now have a couple of boxes of iris tubers shrieking at me to plant them.

The bags I had over my blueberry plants must have acted like a greenhouse because when I took them off, the bushes were covered with little blueberries that I don't remember seeing a few days ago. Yum!

The light frost did minimal damage to my trees. The baby fruit looks great and is so exciting to watch grow.

Last week I tilled an unlandscaped strip of sunny soil behind the house. My plan is to plant Lavender. I have the seeds but now I am feeling impatient and wishing I had bought plants instead. It's that "fast food- want it right now" mentality that we Americans suffer from. Anyway, I have always wanted to grow lavender so here we go.

I was feeling really excited about spring when my sister calls me. We, of course, spoke of the weather when she mentions hearing on t.v. that that they are expecting more drought like conditions for our area again this year. Uhgggg!!!

We have an old well out in the orchard. It's covered with heavy blocks so the kids can't get hurt. Maybe it's time to see about making it servicable again. Ummm.

5 comments:

Aves @ Call of the Phoebe said...

lovely yard!!!!

you have been tagged

aves

junglemama said...

So what are you going to do with all of those blackberries?

junglemama said...

BTW, you have a beautiful family!

A Blessed Life said...

We plan to eat them, make jam, and share with anyone interested.

Sarah said...

What a wonderful Spring you are having! We, on the other hand, are having cold, windy weather with a rain/snow mix. Perhaps someday I too shall live in the South and have berries to pick! :)