Monday, April 14, 2008

One down, two to go!

We made it through the first night - no frost.
My friend, Sarah, left a question about what kind of trees do I have in my orchard. I have to mention first that my orchard is one of my childhood dreams. I think they are beautiful and the idea of just going out and picking fruit right off your own tree is incredible.
We have 10 acres so I begged S when we first got married to let me start an orchard. He grew up around orange groves so he kept saying " It will take too long to ever get any fruit." Years later, I reminded him that if he had let me start when I first asked then we would be getting fruit. He relented and helped me get started.
Another part of my dream was to have so much fruit that I can freeze and make jams and jellies and call my friends and neighbors to come and pick all they want too.
Okay now to the question. What kind of trees do I have? I have several different varieties of peach, plum, pear, apple, and cherry. I also have high bush blueberries and thornless blackberries. I am hoping to add seedless grapes this year.
I have never used any pesticides or fertilizers except organic. All you have to do is pluck the fruit and it's ready to go. All natural goodness. Wow! I love it!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

We have lots of fruit trees too. Love them! Your soaps look wonderful!

Sarah said...

You are living my dream, my dear! One of these years I must pack up all my children and head on down to Dogwood Trail Farm for a visit (we'll call it a homeschool fieldtrip :)

We'll be praying for the frost to stay away :)

Kathy Cassel said...

Could plant an orchard and have fruit in the time it takes for these adoptions : )