Sunday, April 13, 2008

Spring Freeze?!!!

One of the blessings of living in the South is the early springtime weather. We have cut our grass once and it is already needing a second cut. All our shrubs are leafed out and many of those that bloom are already doing it. Our dogwood and lilac blooms are gorgeous. I have tilled my garden twice with organic matter added. I have spent many afternoons smelling blossoms and then searching out each piece of fruit on every beautiful tree in my orchard.

Now we always have what we call "blackberry winter". It's expected. Just a little cold snap for a day or two and then back to beautiful spring tempuratures. Unfortunately, we sometimes get those late frosts or freezes. Tonight and tomorrow night we are facing that possibility. Ahhhhh! I am so frustrated. Last year, everyone around- including commercial orchards- lost all their fruit. My trees included. This year, again, my trees are loaded.

Our orchard is relatively young so we tried to cover some of the trees and our blueberry plants with huge pieces of plastic. S says it looks like the ghost of Christmas past came through our orchard. ( or is that the ghost of what is to come?)

Well, there is nothing else we can do but pray and I'm doing that too.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

You must post pictures of your gardens, plants and trees! I yearn to live vicariously through all of my Southern gardening friends! We had 3 inches of snow on Saturday up here, and we can expect freezes through mid-May. What type of orchard trees do you have? We only see apple and cherry orchards in our neck of the woods. . .oh but for the chance to grow citrus! :)

Kathy Cassel said...

It's quite cool in the FL panhandle this morning. Part of my family went fishing at 5:30 this morning (before school) and had to wear jackets.