I have been basically a "country girl" most of my life. I live on the same property I grew up on where my parents played a good bit at farm life. We had horses, cows, goats, free-range chickens, rabbits, pigs (gross!!!!) guineas, turkeys, and assorted cats and dogs. They also gardened and cut firewood for the wood-burning fireplace.
I remember all that but I never had total responsibility for any of those things. I do remember loving that lifestyle.
My husband was exposed some to that lifestyle as a young child but in his older years was pretty "citified". He knew my dreams when we married and has tried to mesh our lifestyles.
It took a lot of pleading to convince him chickens were worth the trouble to raise. Finally he said yes 4 years ago and built me the cutest little chicken coop. Okay - I researched breeds and care. I bought 5 adorable young chicks and 4 survived. They all got named- Priscilla, Ms.Red, Buttercup, and Queenie. They laid like clock work that first year- beautiful brown eggs. They laid pretty regularly the next. We added to our flock over time. Now the 4 older girls are not very productive anymore. That is the way of things. Now my dilemma:The country girl in me says it is time to get rid of the old girls. They cost more to feed than they contribute. My brother-in-law says "Eat them!" I can't - I would choke! They have names and they were my first. The sad thing is chicken is my favorite meat. I am like most people; I just try not to think about it. I truly don't know what I will do but killing them is not an option for me.
Another part of country life I hate- snakes! Uugg!! In the last week, my sister next door has found 2 King snakes in her yard. My brother-in-law knows they will eat mice/rats and other poisonous snakes so he just moves them out of the yard. Again, my country girl brain says that is wisdom but my heart screams "Kill It!!!!"
Being a true country girl is difficult.
Thursday, May 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Do not kill the chickens! I repeat, do not kill the chickens! :) My Dad always killed his after they quit laying and teases me that I let mine live long enough to draw social security.
Here's the way I see it. Your girls blessed you with abundant eggs daily the best years of their life. You owe it to them to let them peacefully live out their days on your farm. And yes, they eat the feed and produce nothing in return but they do eat bugs so they're still contributing.
you have been tagged
aves
Don't kill the chickens! but definitely kill the snakes!
Post a Comment