Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Lest you might think I have fallen into the depths of despair over this terrible adoption process, I decided to "try" to post some pictures. Life has gone on - and has been good. I miss our sweet N like crazy and think of her/pray for her constantly. But life is busy here and that truly helps the time til her homecoming to go by swiftly.

A few months ago, we started hearing a strange cat under our house at night. He would pace and cry so mournfully for hours. It was horrible! We've had cats show up before that were wild and untamed but never one that seemed so unhappy.

At the time, we had only one cat. He's a 4 year old gorgeous 15 lb. neutered male. We got him as a kitten and his name is Oreo.



Oreo is such a good cat. He doesn't do much damage to our beautiful birds and keeps down the mole population in our yard. He occassionally comes up with a squirrel or once a baby rabbit. I have seen him across the road in the horse pasture tracking field mice.

Mostly, he just hangs around the back yard enjoying life.

We like cats and had considered getting another when this guy shows up. I named him "Simon".

It was several weeks before we ever got a good look at him. He was so scary and cautious that he was more a blur than anything. We decided that since he chose to live with us that we needed to tame him. We don't know what his life was like before now but it's made him very wary of people. We have to go slowly when he's around and not make any fast moves. He eats with one eye on us at all times.

Many times I've jumped out of bed late at night when he starts his "I'm home" cry. S wakes up out of a sound sleep saying " What in the world are you doing now?" I just say "he's here - I gotta feed him!"

The other morning one of the kids called me to come look out the kitchen door. After many months of speaking gently and feeding him each time, there he was laying on the back steps near the other cats( we have 2 kittens now). He acted like he was trying out the situation.

Simon's a free spirit, though, coming and going at different times. He didn't hang around long that day either but he'll be back. He's finally beginning to feel that this is home and it's a good place to be.






No comments: