Friday, February 13, 2009

New Babies!

I'm a little slow posting but we have 2 new additions to our family. Aren't they sweet?!
Can you tell she's a proud mama?

There was actually quite a bit of drama surrounding their birth. I took her in last week for an x-ray to see how many and if they were lined up correctly. She only had less than a week to go. Dr. A stepped in the room with " Well, when do you want to schedule the c-section?"

Arrggg! There were only 2 - smaller litters tend to be bigger babies and they were both lined up back feet first.


Tigerlily had had a c-section last time because she stopped laboring because baby #3 was breach. We lost it but saved #4. We were REALLY hoping she could have them on her own this time.

We were scheduled to come back on Saturday noon when Dr. A would come by the office after doing a clinic with a wagon train group. If she seemed close to delivery then we would have the c-section then. If not, then we would have to wait.

The rub was... Dr. A was going OUT OF TOWN on Sunday afternoon until Tuesday. She was due on Monday but came early on the last litter. I was so stressed thinking about what to do if Dr.A was not available if she went into labor. It's hard to get another vet around here to do emergency work on the weekends - especially if it's not your vet. Oh, the pressure!


I took her in on Saturday but she still didn't seem ready. I didn't want to take the puppies early and lose them but I didn't want her to try to have them on her own and lose her. Dr. A told me to just keep checking her temp every 12 hours and if it dropped and stayed down then she was probably getting close to delivery.

Her temp was down that night and still down the next morning. Woo Hoo! I called Dr. A before he left for church and he met me up at the office. He is such a super vet. I just love him.

He told me I could come on back to see the delivery after he got Tigerlily settled. In a little while, he called me in. He had just pulled one out and the other was still in the womb (on the table). Birth is so amazing!

Both babies are girls and are doing just fine. Tigerlily was a little disoriented but after the medication wore off she has been an excellent mama- just like last time. We had her spade so this is her last.
Big girl......3 ozs. at birth.
Tiny girl....2 ozs. at birth.
We are still deciding on names. If you have any cute suggestions, we'd be glad to hear it.

7 comments:

Marta said...

They are adorable and Tigerlily looks so proud and happy! Congratulations!

Not Betty Crocker said...

Oh my gosh! They are beyond cute! Mama's pretty sassy herself. Babies are so fun. Enjoy!

Kathy Cassel said...

They are adorable. They need princess names.

Janet said...

Oh they are so cute! TnT think they are the sweetest babies ever!

Unknown said...

Ok Gyrlande has just seen the puppies, and then started crying when i told her that no we couldn't fly out to your place and see them in person.....LOL

Her suggestions are Sierra for the puppy with the white on its head, and Megan for the black-headed puppy.

Lost Creek Soaps said...

I have been reading your blog for awhile. Glad you like our cows. I love the Highlands. If I were up for bottle feeding a baby, I could milk them.
Love your baby chihuahuas. I never thought we would EVER have a chihuahua, BUT we met Chewie, and had to bring him home. He is the toughest Chihuahua ever. He runs in the pens with all the animals, and loves the great outdoors. Would love for you to e-mail me sometime... seagren at juno dot com
take care,
suzanne

Kimmie said...

So tiny and so cute. Enjoy those wee little pups!

Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted